The Green Room Community Theatre is seeking a full-time Technical Director. The Green Room is a thriving organization based in the beautiful state-of-the-art Old Post Office Playhouse located in historic downtown Newton, NC.
The Technical Director (TD) position is key to maintaining the high quality of productions presented each season by The Green Room. The TD is responsible for supervising and implementing technical elements for all productions and events; therefore, the job requires skills in multiple creative and analytical fields. The TD works to ensure safe working conditions, maintains resources and equipment, collaborates with staff, production artistic teams, and volunteers. A strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate well with others are essential in the qualified candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees, operates, maintains, and safeguards the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use and maintenance of stage facilities, scene shop, and lighting, sound, and other equipment.
- Schedules and conducts production meetings. Collaborates with artistic teams on set design and all technical aspects of each production/event.
- Procures light and sound designers and coordinates schedules to ensure they can complete duties in conjunction with set completion.
- Works with stage managers to procure operators for sound and light boards and fills in as needed.
- Constructs scenery and set pieces as needed.
- Plans, works, and organizes volunteers and interns to help as needed to meet production deadlines. (Evening and weekend hours are often required to accommodate volunteers’ schedules.)
- Supervises strike at the close of each production.
- Works within the given budget to gather needed materials and tracks expenses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience (Minimum 3 years preferred)
- Proficiency in engineering, carpentry, building for the stage, and use of rigging and technical aspects of all equipment
- Basic knowledge in set painting and design
- Proficiency with computer drafting software (currently using AutoCAD), QLab, lighting and sound equipment
- Ability to organize volunteers, teaching and supervising as needed
- Physical ability to safely maneuver up to 50 pounds, to climb and work on ladders, and to carry out the physical demands of the job
- Valid NC Driver’s license
Salary: $32,000 to $40,000 annually dependent on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Disability Insurance. Paid vacations, holidays, and sick leave.
Application: Please prepare a cover letter which includes why you are excited to be a part of The Green Room team and why you believe you are the best candidate for this position.
Please submit your cover letter and detailed resume to:
Cathy Banner, Executive Director